Thursday 17 April 2014

Chrism Mass


Yesterday was Bishop Malcolm's last Chrism Mass with us before he goes to Liverpool as Archbishop. His homily is well worth reading.


I was particularly moved by the end of the homily:


When I leave the Diocese at the end of this month, I will take with me all those spiritual gifts that have helped me be a Bishop; I take the sorrow and regret of the mistakes I have made, and hopefully the forgiveness of those I have hurt; and I take many happy memories of this beautiful Diocese.
But I leave you something special too: I leave you the Holy Chrism, the Oil of the Sick and the Oil of Catechumens, so that your ministry can continue – that rich golden oil blessed and consecrated will enable you to endow our young people with the Holy Spirit at Confirmation, bring comfort and healing to the sick in the Anointing of the Sick, and prepare and strengthen next year’s catechumens to be baptised and brought into the full communion of the Catholic Church, taking their place at the table of the Lord’s Supper, receiving him in Holy Communion.
I will remember you, thank God for you and pray for you and your families every day. In return, please pray that my separation from you will eased by God’s grace, your love and the welcome which I will receive in Liverpool, and that I will be given the strength to rise to the challenges presented by this new mission given me by our Lord. Amen.