Monday 7 September 2015

From Bishop's House - Refugee Crisis

Like every priest in the Diocese I received this email from Bishop's House today:
Dear Father,
You may have seen yesterday that Pope Francis, speaking after the Angelus in St Peter’s Square, has asked Catholic organisations in Europe to offer some form of hospitality to refugees. How this is best accomplished depends on what a parish, etc., can do practically.
Bishop Patrick would very much appreciate it if you and your parishioners could give some creative thought to how some solidarity and welcome could be expressed to those fleeing war-torn countries, which could take the form of a local ecumenical initiative, and he asks that you do whatever you can to help those who are suffering in this way.
With best wishes,
Rev Andrew Cole BA STL JCL
Private Secretary to the Bishop of Nottingham

The situation is developing day by day. I guess we all feel we would like to respond in a useful and compassionate fashion, but feel anxious and uncertain as to how this could be worked out in a practical way. Could I ask you read the second paragraph of the email above again, and reflect prayerfully on it.
As the possibility of a local ecumenical initiative is mentioned, I have already contacted other local ministers. One of them tells me that Sweet Memory Lane on Elford Street is organising a collection of baby and children's clothes to be sent to places where refugees need help.
Please think and pray, and come back to me with any ideas you have. I will keep you in touch with developments.

Update: Since I posted this, I have seen this statement from Cardinal Nichols promising: "Guidance will follow shortly on how the Catholic community in England and Wales can practically respond to this refugee crisis."