Saturday 2 September 2017

Cardinal Cormac Murphy-O'Connor RIP


Please pray for the repose of the soul of Cardinal Cormac Murphy-O'Connor, who died on Friday. You can read more here.

A few days before his death, the Cardinal sent a message to his successor, Cardinal Vincent Nichols. This is what he said:
My dear Cardinal Vincent,
I would be very grateful if you would convey this short message to the priests, religious and lay faithful of the Diocese, of which I as well as you have been privileged to serve as their Bishop.
At this time, the words I pray every night are never far from my thoughts: “Into your hands, Lord, I commend my spirit”. Please tell them that I am at peace and have no fear of what is to come. I have received many blessings in my life, especially from my family and friends. I thank God for the many priests, religious and lay faithful who have helped and sustained me in my Episcopal life. Nor should I forget the many Anglican and Free Church colleagues whose friendship I have valued very much. Above all, as I now commend myself to the loving mercy of God, I ask them all to pray for me as I remember and pray for them.
Fraternally in the Lord,
+Cormac
A prayer for the departed Cardinal:
Grant, we pray, almighty God,
that the soul of your departed servant Cardinal Cormac,
to whom you committed the care of your family,
may, with the manifold fruit of his labours,
enter into the eternal gladness of his Lord.
Who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit,one God, for ever and ever. 
Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord.
And let perpetual light shine upon him.
May he rest in peace.
Amen.
May his soul
and the souls of all the faithful departed,
through the mercy of God, rest in peace.
Amen.